Materials: Wood, wood glue, nails, book board,
Finding a trashed piece of furniture was a difficult task. I didn't want to purchase one, being a poor college student and all haha. I visited nearby antique shops and was turned down by the high prices of old wooden furniture. I only had one day left until classwork would begin. A friend had tipped me on a construction site about a mile north. It was a cold day, and I had found the site. The only problem was the construction site was completely fenced off with barbed wire. It was a challenge to find a way in and out (lugging the large piece I had found). People were giving me funny looks on the bus ride back.
The original piece was a wooden headboard for a twin-sized bed. It was left in a dumpster. I couldn't take a picture of it in this phase.

About 2-3 weeks of reconstruction in the wood shop and this is my result: a fully-functional wooden toy xylophone.
(click on images for a larger view)



A very challenging and interesting assignment. One of the most interesting I've ever had. I felt as if this project challenge my problem-solving skills as an artist.
No comments:
Post a Comment